It truly is alarming how many harmful chemicals we are exposed to on a daily basis. One toxic burden I don’t want to add in my life are the skin care products and makeup that I use. My body has enough to deal with already.
Even though I grew up on Cap’n Crunch and Kool-Aid, and even served it to my children, over the years I have become much more health conscious, and have changed those less-than-healthy ways. When I first started becoming aware of toxins, one of the first products I stopped using was 409 Multi-Surface Cleaner because I felt nauseous and headachy whenever I used it. That was probably 15-20 years ago. Since then I have been continually educating myself and making more healthful choices and changes.
Recently I decided to become a Beautycounter consultant after being convinced that their products are some of the safest on the market and reportedly very high performing. Both are necessities in my mind.
I like this Beautycounter tagline: Beauty should be good for you!
In fact, Beautycounter has an impressive “Never List” of over 1500 ingredients and chemicals that they promise to never use because they are proven to be unsafe or are questionable. I appreciate this. Currently, the United States only bans 30 ingredients, whereas Canada prohibits 600, and the European Union 1400. You really have to take this matter into your own hands, especially where there is so little regulation. So many makeup and skin care products contain hormone disrupting, carcinogenic, neurotoxic, developmentally toxic, and fertility affecting ingredients. It is truly alarming.
10 Reasons Why I Love Using Beautycounter
- For one thing, it is just plain simpler. Because of their commitment to safer products, I can trust Beautycounter (BC) products without having to check EWG (Environmental Working Group) Skin Deep site every time I need to buy something. Have you ever stood in front of shelves of shampoo at the store looking at the ingredients trying to make a healthful decision?
- Most of BC’s products are gluten-free, which is a huge issue for me having celiac disease.
- They are safer. I know I already spoke about this above, but this is worth repeating. I love that they have a “Never List”.
- Their makeup and skin care products are high performing and deliver great results. Also worth repeating. I was already using safer products, but had not yet landed on one’s that I was really satisfied with.
- It’s an alternative to plastic surgery for aging. I am not a big proponent of plastic surgery, but I am not a judger either. I just don’t like the risk and I don’t like many of the results that I have seen on others. So I am willing to spend a little extra now to prevent, slow, and reverse signs of aging.
- It helps me feel more enthused about looking my best. Honestly, I had been feeling that chronic health issues were aging me more lately, and although I wouldn’t say I had given up, looking back I think I was letting things slip a bit.
- As a woman, using makeup and luscious skin care products can be very fun. And anyone who knows me knows that fun is quite important to me.
- The packaging is safer. Beautycounter goes to great lengths when choosing their product packaging. They restrict bisphenol A (BPA) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) for example, using more paper, glass, and safer plastics. Plus Beautycounter is constantly trying to design packaging that is more environmentally healthier.
- Many of BC’s products are EWG (Environmental Working Group) verified, having the highest ratings. Check out their database.
- The results I have seen with my own skin as well as others is quite impressive.
In fact, check out these photos of my daughter Sherry and her testimony about Beautycounter’s Countermatch regimen.
“I’ll be honest, I was skeptical to invest in a Beautycounter regimen. I considered getting the Countercontrol line because I’ve battled with cystic acne since I stopped breastfeeding in January, and overall the quality of my skin has been pretty terrible since my third pregnancy in 2017. Ultimately I chose the Countermatch line because it seemed more well-rounded for my needs.
The first night I used the regimen I was impressed with how soft my skin was! In the first couple days I noticed how quickly it helped heal fresh breakouts before they could badly scar. It seriously felt too good to be true. I’ve diligently used the face wash, serum, eye cream, and sleep cream every single night for over a month and I’m SO happy with how my skin feels and with the progress towards healing older scars and uneven coloring.
When I took a progress photo after 1 month of use, I was seriously FLOORED. Two things I am most surprised about are how much it’s already helped even out my skin tone in such a short time, and I’ve had a lot less acne breakouts! It’s safe to say I’m not going to stop using the Countermatch regimen anytime soon!”
And in case you are wondering, Sherry told me that both photos were taken around the same time of day, in the same spot of her home, with no makeup on, one month apart.
My favorite BC products
Ugh, this was tough narrowing it down. I was going to include my top 3 favorites, but I found myself just writing more and more products down. But for the sake of time and space, I decided I would stick with the 4 items that would be the most hard to live without now that I have been using them.
My Four Favorites in no particular order:
Overnight Resurfacing Peel – It’s kind of like a mask that you leave on overnight, but feels like a serum when applying it. I felt results in a few days; I think even after the first use my face felt softer. Now after 2 months I am finding that my skin tones are evening out, pores are smaller or not visible, my face is less blotchy and red, and wrinkles are softening. Don’t let the name scare you; my very, dry flakey skin didn’t peel. In fact, the chronic flakiness has disappeared.
Citrus Mimosa Body Wash – How can you not love a product with that name! So, here is the thing with this one: it has a very mild, pleasant citrus scent and is so luxurious you only need a small amount for your entire body. After using my bottle daily for 2 months it is still 3/4 full.
Color Define Brow Pencil – I am one of those pathetic people that wake up with practically no face. I especially need to enhance my eyebrows. This one does the job like no other in reversing facial blandness by providing a nice upper frame for my eyes. Easy to use too.
Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer – This provides SPF 20 face protection while providing a light coverage to even out skin tone. Beautycounter describes it best saying it gives a “luminous dewy glow”. Here’s my thoughts on sunscreen for the face. I have come to believe that it is essential to have it on my face at all times to prevent aging. That said, it does not give a lot of coverage, so if I am wanting more I layer it with a foundation and concealer pen. I was so thrilled to find this product. It is amazing!
Ingredients that Beautycounter Promises to Never Use
Here are just a few chemicals on the “Never List”: Benzalkonium Chloride, phthalates, formaldehyde, BHA & BHT, retinyl palmitate & retinol, sodium laurel sulfate & sodium laureth sulfate (SLS & SLES), synthetic flavors & fragrances, hydroquinone, and parabens. (You should avoid as well!)
I have been switching many of my products over to Beautycounter slowly as it would be very expensive to do all at once. So, for the most part, as products run out I replace them with Beautycounter ones. Sometimes it is hard to be patient though and I just pull the trigger.
Ready to purchase Beautycounter now?
1) Order as a client. You can purchase Beautycounter products at full price.
2) Order as a Band of Beauty member. With this you get 10% back to apply to your next order, free shipping over $100, special perks/offers, and a welcome gift that varies, but I have seen these be valued from about $25 to $38. The Band of Beauty membership costs $29 yearly (it not auto-charged though).
3) Become a Beautycounter consultant; you receive significant discounts on all products and also can earn extra income. Contact me if you would like more information.
Not ready to purchase right now? Then just peruse Beautycounter’s site and take a look at BC’s cosmetics and skin care line. I am warning you though; you are going to need to make a wish list because you will see a lot that you will want to try.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the products or what would be the best selections for you.
Whatever you do…
…become more informed about the products you are currently using. And I urge you to start buying the safer ones to protect your health, whether it is from Beautycounter or another quality skin care company.
Also, check out your current skin care products with EWG. It will be eye-opening. I like to write the EWG number on each product I look up with a sharpie so I don’t have scraps of paper everywhere with the info and also to avoid having to look that item up again.
And if you do happen to try one of Beautycounter’s skin care regimens, please take a before photo and one month later another to compare. I would love to hear/see the results!
Here’s to your glowing & vibrant skin!!!
You might also be interested in reading this related article that I wrote: