I love the New Year, every year.
I always feel a sense of freshness, of new beginnings. This year is even better with the beginning of a new decade!
It might be good to take some time in the next few days to evaluate the last the last year and the last decade of your life to help you determine what your next steps should be. Here are some questions that I have found useful:
- What were your major accomplishments?
- What were the major events?
- What were the highlights?
- What were the disappointments?
- What do you wish you had done differently?
- What fears did you overcome?
- What fears held you back?
- What could you have done better?
- What do you wish you had done, but didn’t?
- What advice would you give to yourself for living the next year (or ten years) well?
Answering questions like these can help you formulate goals for the next year and the next decade and move forward.
I have what I call a “Life Journal” where I like to record things like this. Some other things my Life Journal also has in it:
- “100 Things I Want to Do”, a list which I started in 2017 and only has 71 things listed so far. I think I started this list at the recommendation by Jack Canfield on a YouTube video, author of The Success Principles. A great book, by the way. Or maybe I heard Jim Rohn, another success guru, say it on a YouTube video. I will cite it properly when I find the source.
- Major Successes: A list of major successes in 20-year chunks – 0-20 years old, 21-40 years old, 41-60 years old. I have no idea why I did this, but it was an interesting exercise. I think it might have been better to break it into 10-year chunks, especially for you younger folks.
- My Purpose Statement
- “Books Everyone Should Read”, a list of 20 important books suggested by Jim Rohn in his book Twelve Pillars. So far I have read 7 of them.
Here are some more things to consider to help you make goals for your future:
- What do you want for yourself?
- What purposes do you think God has for you?
- What changes would you like to see in your health?
- What do you need to do to improve your health?
- What ways do you want to change in the way that you handle money?
- What can you do to deepen relationships with the 5, 10, or 20 most important people in your life?
- What can you do to improve your spiritual health?
- How can you serve others better?
- How can you be a better employee or businessman (or woman)?
- What goals do you have for your business?
- What about decluttering/organizing?
- What can you be doing to reduce your toxin exposure?
- How can you learn to be more happy and content?
- What do you need to do to live a more balanced life?
- What place do you think social media and other screen use should occupy in your life?
- Who can help you be more successful?
Hello, New Decade!
Ahhhh, fresh starts…
In the Bible, Philippians 3:13, Paul says one thing he does is, “forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what [the goal that] lies ahead…” (NASB, 1978). I think that is pretty fine advice for wise living.
My New Program
I would be thrilled to see you kickstart your health in 2020, and I want to help!
If you would like some coaching to help you make some incredible changes, I just released my new online program, which I call “Your 30-Day Dedicate Program“. It is very affordable. Take a look here and consider signing up today. Even the brightest, most successful people need coaches. It can make all the difference. I really believe that you will be so glad that you did.
Wishing you 2020 awesomeness!